What is the Next Step Program?
The Next Step School Leaver Program is a job ready program that offers pre-employment skills, social skills training, and hands-on practical work experience specifically designed for young adults on the autism spectrum.
It is designed for school leavers and adults who are looking to take the ‘next step,’ including being work ready.
Next Step is not a set program; instead, it features tailored modules that are designed to build skills and confidence while encouraging progress. The modules focus on key areas and skills required to pursue further education, or to work within the voluntary sector or in paid employment.
The SLES program offers pre-employment skills, social skills training, and hands-on practical work experience.
How can I benefit from joining the program?
The job ready program is designed to enable individuals to feel confident and positive about their progress, options and goals, and provides opportunities to develop employability and social skills and then put them into practice.
- Autism specific content and support;
- Peer mentoring;
- Autism experienced facilitators;
- Social skills and pre-employment modules;
- Structured learning, fun, and opportunities to practise new skills; and
- Connections to further education, employment services and employers in the area.
You can participate in the Next Step program at a variety of locations.
Key skill areas in which Next Step provides support
Next Step at Autism SA offers a wide range of skill building exercises, and will assist you to put these skills into practice. The program covers:
- Understanding your own interests, skills, likes and needs;
- Effective and appropriate communication skills;
- Setting goals and improving focus;
- Work training and skills assessments;
- Preparing for employment;
- Understanding employer expectations;
- Working as a team, and how to work effectively with others;
- Work experience support;
- Personal presentation skills;
- Health and safety;
- Resumé writing;
- Understanding transport options and promoting independent travel;
- Understanding money, paying bills and budgeting; and
- Numbers, money and measurement.
How can I access the program?
To register your interest in attending our Next Step Program, please fill out the registration of interest form below.
Click here to register your interest for Next Step
For more information about supports and services at Autism SA, or to register your interest for a program, please contact My Pathways on 1300 288 476 or email@example.com.
Autism SA is accredited and registered as a provider through the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA). This means that you can pay for services at Autism SA with your NDIS funding, or you may pay yourself, through fee for service.